Anthony E. Hope
Managing Attorney for the Ocean City Office
Ocean City and Englewood, NJ
Anthony E. Hope is the Managing Attorney for the Firm’s Ocean City, New Jersey office, which serves clients in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland and surrounding counties. Prior to his legal career, Mr. Hope served as an asset manager and investment banking liaison for Wall Street firms. His legal career includes a clerkship with the former chief judge of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey. As a result of being able to draw on his extensive finance and legal experience, Mr. Hope views debt relief situations from a unique perspective and can craft and implement customized debt relief strategies for consumers and businesses accordingly.
Bankruptcy as Debt Relief
Types of Bankruptcy
Mr. Hope represents debtors and creditors in corporate and consumers with chapter 11 bankruptcy and subchapter V (utilized by businesses and individuals engaged in business). Anthony has helped people with limited incomes who do not have the ability to pay back all or some portion of their debts in chapter 7 bankruptcy (liquidation) cases and others who through a three to five year reorganization plan where they will repay a portion of your debts reorganize through a chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Furthermore, Anthony E. Hope has worked with farmers across the garden state & has experience with farm reorganizations, also known as chapter 12 bankruptcy.
Non-Bankruptcy Debt Relief
Negotiating Debt Relief with Creditors
Mr. Hope has negotiated debt settlement and workouts with creditors on behalf of clients. Further, Mr. Hope possesses significant experience in handling foreclosure matters and negotiating foreclosure alternatives, such as mortgage modifications, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, short sales and other forms of debt relief.
Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors
For businesses, an Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors can be a very effective tool to resolve debt. Mr. Hope has considerable experience representing corporate debtors and creditors in these proceedings.
For More Detailed Information
Most consumers file for chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy and businesses file for chapter 7 and chapter 11 bankruptcy, incl. subchapter V). For more detailed information on chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy for consumers and a comparison between these two bankruptcy types, click here.
For more detailed information on chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings for businesses, click here.
Mr. Hope also represents domestic as well as international businesses regarding matters of corporate law (formation of businesses, mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions, etc.).
Mr. Hope has a background encompassing both corporate finance and legal experience. This, coupled with his international background and ability to converse in Dutch and German, enables him to effectively represent the interests of domestic and international entities and business owners alike.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Hope had a career with a prominent Wall Street investment banking firm, specializing in institutional asset management. He also functioned as an investment banking liaison to various foreign governments and private pension funds. Subsequently, Mr. Hope became a corporate finance consultant as well as a business strategist counseling many established business ventures and start-ups in a wide range of industries, among them the pharmaceutical and alternative energy sectors.
Mr. Hope served as senior law clerk to the Hon. Rosemary Gambardella, former Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey. He also served as a law clerk to the Hon., Robert P. Contillo, J.S.C. and Hon. Peter E. Doyne, P.J.S.C., Chancery Division-General Equity, Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County Vicinage, and to the Hon. Daniel P. Mecca, P.J.S.C., Law Division-Civil Part, Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County Vicinage. In addition, Mr. Hope served as judicial intern to the Hon. John W. Bissell, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, the Hon. Robert E. Gerber, Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District Court of New York and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, Legal Enforcement Division, in New York. Mr. Hope also served as an attorney with a large Mid-Atlantic law firm before he joined Norgaard O'Boyle & Hannon as counsel.
In his capacity as Managing Attorney of the Ocean City office, Mr. Hope is able to meet with clients in Vineland, Cape May and Egg Harbor, if that is more convenient to them.
Areas Of Practice
- Debtors and Creditors in Corporate and Consumer Bankruptcy cases (chapter 7, chapter 11, chapter 13)
- Debtors and Creditors in Farm Reorganizations (chapter 12)
- Debtors and Creditors in Foreclosure Matters and Foreclosure Alternatives
- Corporate Law (formation of businesses, mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions, etc.)
- New Jersey, 2007
- New York, 2008
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2011
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2011
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 2005
- Calvin College
- B.A. - 1996
- Honors: With Honors
- Rutgers University School of Business, Newark, New Jersey
- M.A. - 2020
- Major: Accountancy in Taxation
- Patrick M. Ryle, Anthony E. Hope, Leonard Goodman and Jay A. Soled, “The Tax Consequences Associated with E-Gaming,” Journal of Taxation (January 2020)
- Publicly Listed Shells of Corporate Debtors and Reverse Mergers: Recycling Shells in Spite of Anti-Shell Trafficking Provisions American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, July 2013
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by (201) Magazine as a peer nomination
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Rosemary Gambardella, former Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey, Senior Law Clerk
- Hon., Robert P. Contillo, J.S.C. and Hon. Peter E. Doyne, P.J.S.C., Chancery Division-General Equity, Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County Vicinage, Law Clerk
- Hon. Daniel P. Mecca, P.J.S.C., Law Division-Civil Part, Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County Vicinage, Law Clerk
- Hon. John W. Bissell, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, Judicial Intern
- Hon. Robert E. Gerber, Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District Court of New York, Judicial Intern
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission, Legal Enforcement Division, in New York, Judicial Intern