- Of Counsel
William Schmidt concentrates his practice in the areas of business, commercial, secured transaction, finance and real estate law, with emphasis on business counseling, business organization, corporate/limited liability company governance, contract preparation and review, loan transactions, mergers and acquisitions and real estate matters. Mr. Schmidt has broad and varied experience representing both lenders and borrowers in asset-based and real estate loan transactions. Mr. Schmidt has extensive experience in representing clients with respect to the sale and purchase of businesses (both asset and stock/membership interest sales), the sale and purchase of real estate and the preparation and/or review and negotiation of a broad range of commercial/business agreements including, but not limited to, consulting agreements, employment agreements, consignment agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, non-competition agreements, distribution agreements, franchise agreements, stockholders' agreements, operating agreements and commercial and residential real estate leases. In addition, over the years, Mr. Schmidt has developed expertise in representing clients in the interstate natural gas pipeline, diamond/jewelry, textile and information technology staffing augmentation industries.
Mr. Schmidt served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Peter J. Cass, Judge of Superior Court of the State of New Jersey. Prior to joining the Firm as Counsel, Mr. Schmidt was partner in two prestigious New Jersey law firms. Before practicing law, Mr. Schmidt held management positions at Sea-Land Service, Inc., an intermodal transportation company.
In the nonprofit sector, Mr. Schmidt served as Trustee and Vice President of the Board of Trustees of Essex Valley School, Inc., a New Jersey private alternative middle/high school and served as a Board Director and Board Treasurer and President of Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation, Inc., a national voluntary health organization.
Areas Of Practice
- Secured Transaction
- Real Estate Law
- New Jersey, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 1987
- Montclair State University
- B.A. - 1974
- Honors: cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by (201) Magazine as a peer nomination
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Hudson-Bergen Inn of Transactional Counsel
- North Carolina Bar
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Peter J. Cass, Judge of Superior Court of the State of New Jersey, Law Clerk, 1987 to 1988
- Sea-Land Service, Inc.
Pro Bono Activities
- Trustee and Vice President of the Board of Trustees of Essex Valley School, Inc.
- Former Board Director, Board Treasurer and President of Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation, Inc.
- Phi Alpha Delta